Sunday 13 March 2011

Bitsnbobs feature/interview!

Bitnbobs is the brand name by artist Kit Barrett for her wonderful line of novelty soaps and cosmetics, she also creates some jewellery too!

Kit's goods are so reasonably priced that you will want to treat yourself or someone else with some of her wonderful goodies.

Bitsnbobs folksy shop

This light, sweet fragranced lip balm is vegan, very soothing and you get a really big pot for your money!

I was blown away by this packaging, isn't it fab? Doesn't it look edible!!
I had to fight with my brain to not eat this, smells just as good as it looks, the only bad thing about this is the use of the aluminum foil, would love to see a baking type paper being used instead but it was a lot of fun, left my skin super duper soft and it is vegan, of course!!

How cool are these??? They are life size Lego dudes, so fantastic for encouraging a little one to wash or would look amazing as guest soups in a little dish, love these too death, so fun!
Unscented and vegan.

How sweet are these bracelets? What a charming idea, perfect for an add on gift for someone special. Or something sweet to send in the mail to a friend!

These are my total faves!!
Jammy dodger and custard cream, two British classic biscuits.
Vegan but sadly unscented, would have loved these to have smelled as good as they look, maybe that will change in the future.

Let's get to know the artist, shall we?

1. Tell us a bit about yourself, your background and how you got into creating your creations!

I’m 24 and live in southern England with my boyfriend, cat, chickens, mice and cockatiel!
I started making my own bath products about a year ago, after becoming frustrated at the lack of vegan and eco friendly products out there that didn't cost a small fortune. I got hooked on making weird and wonderful creations and the heaps of praise I received about them- and now I can't stop!
I'm a very strict veggie/failed vegan so none of my products ever contain ingredients that have involved the suffering of animals. I do occasionally cheat however and use known animal-friendly ingredients such as spare eggs from my chooks. My background is in Environmental Sciences so I'm pretty picky about where I source my ingredients from. This year I'm hoping to start growing a lot more herbs and flowers of my own to use in products. I also hate packaging with a vengeance, so apart from where I need to for hygiene reasons, I avoid it at all costs.

2. What/who inspires you and why?

My main inspiration is food- I love baking. Plus I have a very dull day job- snacking and food treats are the only thing that keep me sane(ish). I guess I spend so long staring longingly at yummy treats each day that it was only inevitable that the ideas would take over!
I’m also massively into animals and the environment so that tends to influence my products a lot. From design ideas to material sourcing. I particularly love the challenge of converting a traditionally animal-based product into a cruelty-free vegan one.

3. If you could take a 2 week vacation anywhere this summer, where would you go and why?

Well this will sound very cheesy- but I’d probably go to Wales and see my sister and mum. Because of the zoo-like nature of both our homes I don’t get to see them nearly as often as I’d like. Either that or America- sun and craft supplies for cheap- yay!

4. How would you describe your wonderful style?

Eccentric, childish, yummy, hippyish. Basically a bit weird, but hopefully fun!

5. Do you have a website/blog???

Currently I only have my Folksy shop.

folksy

6. How did you come up with your design name?

It was a lazy accident. I kept telling people I made bits and pieces. My nickname was Bob. And thus the two got merged from a lack of any other inspiration. I’d quite like to re-brand to ‘the crazy chicken lady’ or something similar one day though….

7. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

A vet or an eco-warrior. I certainly didn’t imagine getting an office job with an eccentric hobby


8. What is your biggest dream right now?

For my little business to start earning enough for me to quit my day job and focus on it fully. I’d love to own a shop one day, or stock lots of little shops! Plus to have more space to make stuff in, my kitchen is tiny! I guess winning the lottery has gotta be pretty high up on the list too.

9. What makes you laugh??

Lots of things! Animals doing daft things, bad jokes, cheesy TV shows, farts and their silly names (eggywoofter has to be my fav).

10. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

A koala. All you do is sleep all day and then wake up to eat. Heaven!




Thanks Kit for doing this interview and I wish you all the best with your fantastic creations. I urge others to visit Kit's shop on folksy and go and treat themselves or a loved one with some of the goodies in her store, enjoy!
If you want to stock Kit's yummies in your shop, please get in touch with her via her folksy store xxx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wowsers, I love all of that stuff...off to Folksy now to check it out :-D

Girl Is Poison said...

Great stuff! I love the chocolate soap.

Peach Nia said...

Thanks so much Ladies for your comments!
x