Wednesday 7 May 2014

Homemade natural dog toothpaste!

I love my dogs so much and I want them to be here with me for as long as possible, which is why I feed mostly a raw meat and bones diet to them.
 This diet helps both their health and wellbeing and is great for their teeth too.
 
I'm not always perfect though and do give my Chihuahua boys a "nice nice" which is basically a kong filled with yummy cooked treats like quinoa, sweet potato, sweetcorn, cooked turkey...it really depends on the day, oh and they also get a quail egg once a week.
I also sometimes give them something very naughty like a crisp or some biscuit :(
So I am not perfect and because of this some tartar started to build on their perfect teeth, oh no!
Once I got over my guilt I thought about how I must get to brushing their teeth again but I didn't want to use a tube of dog toothpaste that I had no idea what on earth it contained, so I decided to make my own.

I looked on the Internet and it seemed to be that bicarbonate of soda and oil was the main ingredient in homemade toothpaste for dogs.
 
The link below is the recipe I followed.
It gives you a rough guide on amounts, so eyeball it to get a nice consistency that looks/feels right.
recipe
 

Here are the ingredients.
 Jar
Cinnamon
bicarbonate of soda
coconut oil
salt
stock
Also boiled water
 
My dogs hate having their teeth brushed but it is so important for their health, unless you only feed raw meat and bones.

Dog's mouths are more alkaline which encourages plaque build up.
Plague builds on teeth, which is unhealthy bacteria and that bacteria can go into major organs in the body and cause all kinds of issues to the kindneys and heart, yikes.
Clenaing your dog's teeth can make them live longer!


0 comments: