Sunday 14 March 2010

Shrinkle Interview.

Hi guys, here is an interview with a designer that has inspired me for years, not only with her actual designs but her fantastic personality. Amy of Shrinkle fame is an American designer who creates wonderful clothes to wear and now creates vibrant make-up too! Amy is also a hottie, beauty and brains!!!
Amy won my heart with her compassionate nature. A real sweetheart who loves animals, let's find out more about Amy!


Here is the beauty herself, wearing one of her designs.


1. Tell us a bit about yourself, your background and how you got into creating the Shrinkle empire!
I started sewing in college because I always wanted new clothes but couldn't afford them on my poor college student budget. So I kept modifying and cutting up whatever I had in my closet. Eventually when it couldn't be modified anymore, I'd sell it on eBay. It started out as a side hobby, and I really didn't expect people to be so into it. I started sewing more and more to keep up with the demand, and eventually it turned into my full time job. Oops!

2. What/who inspires you and why?

I find inspiration everywhere. I love flashy dance costumes, creepy little girl beauty pageants, and vintage lingerie. I like to mix elements from all 3, plus random things I see on the street and in foreign fashion magazines.

3. If you could take a 2 week vacation anywhere this summer, where would you go and why?

My current obsession is to someday visit the Kastom villages of Tanna, an island of Vanuatu. I've been researching its history and culture obsessively for the past few months and am convinced that it is the most wonderful place on Earth. I would love to see how I manage two weeks without money, internet access, a phone, MAKEUP (!!!), or any of the modern material luxuries we take for granted. Whenever I travel, I'm always more interested in meeting the locals and learning cool stuff from them. We actually just got back from Isla Mujeres, where I didn't care too much for the touristy stuff but spent most of my time inland trying to talk to the locals in my horrible broken Spanish haha.

4. How would you describe your wonderful style?

Oh man, this is always a hard one! Someone once told me my clothes are basically "glorified lingerie," which I thought was a really cute description. So... glorified lingerie in obnoxious colors and patterns!

5. You always seems super duper happy and positive, this makes you a very inspirational person to me and just looking at your blog can leave me with a smile on my face, what's your outlook on life?

I'm generally a very optimistic person. I have a lot of things to be thankful for, and not too many to be grumpy about. Of course I have my bad moments just like everyone else, but that's when I avoid blogging or answering emails. That's why you don't see it! :-D

6. How did you come up with your design name?

When we were kids and my dad was just learning English, he used to randomly add an "le" to the end of words. For instance, if you eat cookies in bed you'll get "crumbles" in the sheets, and if you put cotton shirts in the dryer then they'll "shrinkle." We used to giggle about it behind his back--in an endearing way of course! To this day, my dad still thinks "shrinkle" is a word, and I've never bothered to correct him because I like the sound of it.


7. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

This is so nerdy I know I'm going to regret saying it, but I was a HUUUUUGE stamp collector and dreamed of working at the post office so I'd get first dibs on all the new releases. I had the most massive stamp collection anyone had ever seen -- stacks of albums and bins that are still taking up half my parents' garage. I made my dad sign me up for all the stamp collecting clubs and newsletters. In short, I was a very awesome and popular kid. Just kidding!

8. What do you love the most and least about working for yourself?


I love everything about it, so much to the point that I feel like a jerk if I even attempt to find anything to complain about. It's perfect. I can set my own hours, work in my pajamas, and stay home with my cats all day. As I type this, I honestly can't remember the last time I left the house.

9. You have a make up line coming out called sugarpill? Please tell us about that and when it is available to buy?

YES!! It's available NOW at www.sugarpill.net. The line consists of superbright, highly-pigmented pressed eyeshadows and sparkling loose powders in shades that I custom designed myself. Not only is it pretty, but the quality is amaaaazing. It's for party girls who need their makeup to stay bright all night long.

10. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

I'd be a cat. Because whenever I see my cats cuddling, I get jealous and imagine how fun it would be if I could be a cat too and get in the middle of that cuddle action.


11. How would you decorate a cupcake to represent your personality?

I'd probably just put some googly eyes on it or something. Wouldn't that be cute?


12. As a designer, what are you most proud of that you have accomplished to date.

This is a hard one because every time I finish a project I'm always like "OH MY GOD YOU GUYS! Wasn't that the BEST day ever?!" And everyone says, "You said that about ____ last week!" So we'll just go by recent. ;-) Most recently, I was honored to have been asked to take part in Sanrio's Hello Kitty 35th anniversary event as a designer AND a makeup brand. Not only did I get to design two custom Sanrio dresses (one for the Hello Kitty mascot herself!), but my own line Sugarpill was also the official makeup brand used on the models. The months leading up to it were a huge bundle of nonstop stress, but at the end of the day I literally cried because I was so happy.


13. Any pearls of wisdom that you would like to pass on to us??

Find what you love to do, then work your butt off doing it!! xo

Visit Amy:

http://www.sugarpillshop.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Shrinkle

Thanks for reading!! xoxo

11 comments:

Sarade said...

Very inspiring article! I love the teal and purple hair and the use of bright, peppy colors!

Sophie St Vicious said...

wicked interview, Amy is so inspiring, I enjoyed reading that!

sassypackrat said...

Great interview! What a fun girl who's made a passion into a success.

Ellen the Alien said...

i just wanted to thank you for featuring Amy in an article! :) i've been a big fan of hers for a bit now and i find her very inspiring. :D

oh, and btw, i love your site banner! :D

Unknown said...

wow, that is such an awesome interview. I love people who are just out there!


love the blog! :D


- Michelle
http://lovely-bookie.blogspot.com

Vanillaracoon said...

Wonderful interview. Shrinkle is awesome!
Thank you for choosing such great people to share their insights with us. She is so cool.

Teiva said...

I LOVE Amy's makeup line. I bought 3 of the Chromalust powders and they are SOO SOOO pretty! Amy is awesome!

Hello there! My name is June said...

Such a fab interview! She's a cutie who makes cute things for certain! I love her style!

www.isewcute.blogspot.com

Mariana Gazinhato said...

I love Amy, have done for years & years! She is soooooo gorgeous & funny & is such an inspiration!

[2]

Rosemary Van Deuren said...

Great interview! Amy is a total sweetheart and so inspiring! :)

DaniniPanini said...

Such an inspiring interview! Thanks <3